Samsung Finally Launches The Galaxy Beam in India!
Hope you people remember the Projector phone that Samsung has demoed us 2 years ago. Well, Samsung has finally launched the much awaited Projector Phone.
The Galaxy Beam i8530 was on the news more for its delays rather than its features! But still people kept waiting for it. The idea to use a phone as a projector(even though its only half-decent) is a good move by Samsung. Ever since Samsung showed it, many companies tried their luck at it, only to be dissapointed. But still, it hasn’t stopped Samsung from implementing it.
Galaxy Beam i8530
- CPU :1Ghz Dual-core Novathor U8500(ARM Cortex A9)
- RAM: 768 MB
- Display: 4″ 480×800 Pixel TFT Display with 16M Colors
- Camera: 5MP with LED Flash and 720p Recording(30fps)
- Storage: Internal 8GB, Expandable upto 32GB
- Built in nHD Projector
- Battery: 2000mAh
- OS: Android 2.3(Gingerbread)
It is right now available at Samsung India E-Store at Rs. 29,990.
Initial Impressions(Before Usage):
- For Starters, it has a 15 lumens Bright Projector, that can project nHD video about 50 inches wide at a max of 2m distance. Which is good enough for being the first Projector Smartphone. But people should see how bright it is,and whether the quality is good or not with their own eyes, later.
- The projector actually made it a thick phone . At 12.5 mm thickness,it is not the slimmest phone we have seen. But it is a fat phone by today’s standards.
- Releasing a new phone with Android 2.3 instead of 4.1 or atleast 4.0 is the biggest blunder Samsung has made. Gingerbread is a dated OS now. While it is great, its time is long over. Its now upto ICS or JellyBean to pull the ladder even farther up!
- 2000mAh battery may not be enough, if you use the projector long enough. And so, you may end up replacing batteries/charging the phone more often. If it had a >3000mAh Battery(Droid RAZR MAXX has spoiled us Android Users) it would be better considering the usage the phone is intended to be used.
- A 4″ WVGA Display with 5MP camera and 720p recording? I am sure Samsung hasn’t thought much. It maybe too much to expect, but companies are pushing the display so much that a Retina Display is a norm.
But, putting these things aside, I think this phone can be used very well for its usage scenario. Who else offers a Projector Smartphone now? Its great way to show off your videos and pics on a Projected display or giving presentations from phone, rather than using a projector for that.
A new era has just began, lets hope it stays long!
Sri Teja Prabhala
I am Sri Teja. I am a funny guy who wants everyone around me to be happy. I am a Tech Holic, who likes to be up to date about the latest tech news and gadgets that are released. You know more about me, once you talk to me.
Sri Teja Prabhala
20 July, 2012