Introducing Google Fiber, the fastest internet ever!
While majority of the world is still stuck with broadband internet speeds, Google has come out with its own internet service and has catapulted ahead of the competition. As Google says,
“Google Fiber starts with a connection speed 100 times faster than today’s average broadbadnd. Instant downloads. Crystal clear HD. And endless possibilities. It’s not just TV. And it’s not just Internet. It’s Google Fiber.”
Google Fiber is the world’s first internet service to offer 1 Gigabit internet (1000 Mbps upload and download speeds). As the name suggests, it uses Fiber Optics transmission to achieve the blazing fast transmission rates.
For the average customer this means no more waiting for pages to load, instant movie streaming, super-fast download and upload speeds, low latency/ping rates and much more.
Google is installing this service in Kansas City in September. Later it will expand to other major cities. The company divided Kansas City into smaller units called “fiberhoods.” People from each fiberhood must pre-register for the service and the fiberhood must cross a minimum number of pre-registrations to be eligible for Google Fiber installation. After that Google will install Fiber in your neighborhood and you’ll be ready to go.
Google currently offers three pre-registration plans for Google Fiber:
- Gigabit + TV: This will cost you $120/mo. This plan offers the ‘Full Google Experience.’ Apart from the internet services it includes a DTH service with tons of popular channels and on-demand shows in HD , a complementary Google Nexus 7 tablet and 1TB of online storage space via Google Drive. Also includes a Storage Box, with 2 TB of storage space for recorded content.
- Gigabit Internet: This costs $70/mo. This is a basic plan only offering the internet service along with 1TB online storage space via Google Drive.
- Free Internet: This plan requires a $300(+taxes) installation fee paid either all at once or at $25/mo for 12 months. It offers internet at average broadband speeds and is upgradable to fiber speeds anytime. Google also promises no data caps and at least 7 years of free service.
All the above plans come with a Network Box (wireless modem/router) and you can also purchase an optional Chromebook(a laptop running Google’s Chrome OS) which will cost you extra.
The last date for pre-registration is September 9th. Results will be out on September 10th.
And finally, just to sum everything up,
Awesome Fiber Facts:
- Google Fiber is the world’s first 1 Gigabit internet service.
- No lags, no waiting, no buffering issues and low pings.
- Improved networking between fiberhoods. The more the merrier.
- Comes with tons of uncompressed full HD channels and TV shows.
- Supports recording for up to 8 channels simultaneously.
- Google promises that Fiber will be upgraded as the internet gets more content over the coming years.
To get more information on Fiber visit
For plans and pricing head over to
For pre-registration head over to
4 August, 2012