The frenzy to be a part of the low cost smartphone market is full on and when everyone is so bullish about it, how can the first movers stay behind. Micromax has come out with its low cost utility smartphone Canvas Bolt 67. Although the phone is yet to be launched formally, it is seen as listed on many online retail sites including flipkart and snapdeal. The online price is Rs 5,975.
Here is what to expect from the device in terms of features-
- 4.5-inch capacitive touch screen IPS display with 196 ppi
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
- Dual SIM (GSM + GSM) with Dual Standby
- 2MP rear camera with LED flash
- 0.3MP front-facing camera for clicking self portraits
- 512MB RAM, 4GB internal memory (1.2 GB user memory), 32GB expandable memory with MicroSD
- 2G (EDGE), Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio with Recording
- 1850 mAh battery for upto 6 hours of talktime
The device scores low in terms of operating system. Not just one but it is two versions behind the latest available Android based operating system. Hence the user misses out on lots of features of the modern Android. Its camera capabilities are also way below the usually available camera for this segment and price point.
The rear camera is almost unusable for video chats. Even the processor may not give you the best of gaming and video viewing experience. As usual, the devices in this segment do not compete for features (they have almost similar features) but for price. Even at this point, the device does not score too many brownie points as there are many options available in the market with similar or less price.
It looks like a patchwork which gives you something of every feature but best of nothing. Hence, the company needs to pull out something really special to boost the sales of Bolt 67 else, the phone is going to have a very small life cycle. Lets see when the company formally announces the device.