Sony has begun rolling out ICS updates for the Xperia Sola, U and GO. Install Android 4.0.4 ICS on your Xperia GO, Xperia U and Xperia Sola now.
Sony has finally released the Android 4.0.4 ICS update for the remaining 2012 Xperia lineup, which includes the Xperia GO, Xperia U and the Xperia Sola (all very popular phones, especially the latter two). This long awaited update is finally being rolled out worldwide and will be available to different regions on different dates. Sony promises that all Xperia GO, U and Sola phones shall receive the update over the next few weeks (which sounds like an awful lot of time).
The new ICS update comes with Sony’s 2012 media apps, which are all too sexy and have already showcased how effective and stunningly beautiful they are in the Xperia P and Xperia S ICS ROMs. It took some time for the update to land, but it is finally here. So how do you update your phone to ICS?
New Features in the ICS ROM
The new ICS ROM comes with many new enhancements, UI changes, apps and features. Sony previewed them in the following video.
Install ICS on Xperia U and Sola
The Xperia U and Sola are yet to receive the update. According to Sony, US, UK, Japan and China have already started receiving the updates. For now, we can only say download Flashtool and keep it ready so that the moment a working FTF file is out, you can download and flash it on your Xperia U and Xperia Sola.
Install ICS on Xperia GO
Xperia GO users must be feeling particularly lucky as worldwide Xperia GO phones have been receiving the ICS update already (where there is no sign for Xperia U and Sola). And only today, a working FTF file was uploaded on XDA. Now you don’t have to wait for the update to reach your country, you can download and install the ICS update on your Xperia GO right now!
Scroll down for the guide on how to use Flashtool.
Download Flashtool 0.9.7
Flashtool can be used to flash a working ICS FTF file. The process itself takes 2-3 minutes, after which you will have the ROM installed and running on your phone.
Install ICS on Xperia GO using Flashtool Tutorial
- Download and Install Flashtool 0.9.7
- Open install directory (C:/xxx/) and run “flashtooldrivers.exe” choosing “Xperia GO/U/Sola“, “Fastboot drivers” & “Flashmode“.
- Download the given FTF file link and place file under ”/firmwares” subfolder (of Flashtool install directory).
- Open Flashtool
- Turn off Phone, connect data cable
- Hold Volume Up key till Blue LED notification is on (Fastboot mode)
- Click on the “lightning symbol” on Flashtool. This chooses Flashmode.
- Select the Firmware (check for ICS 4.0.4 confirmation)
- After clicking OK, you will be asked to connect the device to PC
- Remove USB, then connect it again and this time hold Volume Down key till Green LED notification is on.
Flashing will start. The process takes 2-3 minutes. In the end, disconnect device and reboot to ICS. Enjoy Android 4.0.4 ICS on your Xperia GO.
Image Tutorial on Installing ICS on Xperia GO/U/Sola
ICS on Xperia GO Review
Here is a review of ICS on the Xperia GO by Xperia CZ.
Flashing removes all internal storage data. All your apps will be wiped clean. We shall not be held responsible for any data loss, device bricking, and thermo-nuclear war. Please backup all your contacts and data to external SD card/using Sony Companion Suite.